The Community-Based Dialogue (CBD) on the Enactment of Human Rights Ordinances in Selected Cities and Municipalities in CALABARZON was held on Sept 14, 2022 at the Hotel Seda in Nuvali, Sta. Rosa, Laguna.
After the Opening Program, there was a discussion on the proposed ordinances, specifically:
- · Establishing and Operationalizing the Barangay Human Rights Action Teams (BHRACT) – presented by Ms. Eileen Edades (Division Chief, PAD, CHR IV-A)
- · Localization of Article 1 of RA 11313 – Atty. Jack Diamante (LD, CHR IV-A)
- · Establishment or Designation of Freedom Parks – by Atty. Jack Diamante (LD, CHR IV-A)
- · Comprehensive Anti-Discrimination Ordinance – by Atty. Mila Punzalan-Sobreviñas (LD, CHR IV-A)
There was also a sharing of enacted ordinances by:
- · Atty. Ronaldo Mariano (Municipal Legal Officer, Sta. Cruz, Laguna)
- · Hon. Severino Medalla (City Administrator, Sto. Tomas, Batangas)
The invited LGU representatives were made to understand the legal bases for the proposed ordinances, as well as the need to have these local ordinances passed. Towards the end, the invited LGU representatives committed to push for the passage of the proposed ordinances.
This is an activity under the Community-Based Dialogues Project, which is a collaboration project between ALG, the Commission on Human Rights, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (through the Center for the Law of Armed Conflict/CLOAC), the Philippine National Police (through the Human Rights Affairs Office/HRAO), the Philippine Alliance of Human Rights Advocates (PAHRA), and the Hanns Seidel Foundation of Germany.
Date: September 22, 2022